Minimise fire risk by not running cords near sharp cornered furniture or through doorways. Take care to avoid running cords in areas where there is a likelihood of them being tripped on.
Never run electric cords beneath mats or rugs. If they get damaged, they quickly become a very real fire hazard.
Electric cords should be run along a wall rather than across a room. Staples and nails should never be used to secure electric cords. They can easily damage the cords and make them unsafe. Use tape or proper cable clips to safely secure electric cords. Make sure that furniture is not standing on electric cords as the cords can become damaged and unsafe very quickly.
Whenever possible, use cordless electric jugs. When a cord is in use, keep it short and out of the reach of children.
When you’re storing your electric blankets, make sure that they are stored flat, without sharp folds. Sharp folds can damage the internal wiring. Check for any scorch marks and to ensure that there are no exposed wires. Take them to an electrical appliance service shop to have them safety checked.
Never have electric blankets in use on beds where young children may be going to sleep. Bedwetting can easily result in electrocution.
Have a registered electrician check that your fuses or circuit breakers are correctly rated for the circuits in your home.
Never use electrical equipment in wet conditions. Always make sure that you use electrical equipment that is suitable for the environment you are working in. As an example, if conditions are damp, use a cordless drill.
Should an electrical fire occur, it’s important that you have multi-purpose fire extinguishers in your home AND that your family members know how to use them properly and safely.
Regular checks of the electrical appliances, equipment and cords in your home is time well spent. Keep your family safe and protect your property by consulting a registered electrician.